Rehairs & Repairs
Rehairs & Repairs are normally completed here within about a week, unless very complex. Our prices (including VAT) are as follows:
Rehairs (we only use the best hair)
Violin - unbleached Mongolian
Viola - unbleached Mongolian
Cello - unbleached Mongolian
Double Bass - unbleached Mongolian
Double bass, black or brown hair
Shorten or stretch existing hair, re-spread & re-wedge
PLEASE NOTE Rather than rehairing a cheap beginners’ bow, we can often replace it with a new one for well under the above cost of a rehair.
Clean bow & recondition hair
Straighten and/or re-camber stick
Silver lap & leather thumbgrip
Silver lap & leather thumbgrip, double bass
2-Piece leather lap
Simulated whalebone lapping or French thread (silver or coloured) or stainless steel & leather thumbgrip
Silver face, lined
Silver face, lined, double bass
Face, mammoth, lined
Face, mammoth, lined, double bass
Face, imitation ivory or bone or nickel , lined
Face, imitation ivory or bone or nickel , lined, double bass
Frog & Adjuster Work
Bush & re-drill shaft screw-holes
New eyelet & adjust
Suppy & fit screw & eye
Supply & fit silver adjuster
Steel screw & nickel adjuster
Reseat loose underslide
Make & fit new silver ferrule
Fit new nickel ferrule
Fit shell eye
Fit shell slide
New ebony tongue to frog
Write damage or “Write-off” report to insurance company
Rehairs & Repairs by Post
Much the safest way is to bring your bow to us in person, when also your needs can be discussed in person. However if this is not possible:
1. The bow must be covered by an up-to-date specialist insurance policy.
2. Always de-tension the hair before sending.
3. Tie a large luggage label to the stick.
Front: Your name, address, telephone numbers and email address, plus an identifying description of the bow, name-brand, materials of the frog and tip (if known) and violin/viola/cello or bass and overall length in mm.
Back: Work requested: Rehair (black/white/brown), Face (mammoth or synthetic ivory, bone, gold, silver or nickel), Lapping (thumbgrip only or including gold wire, silver wire, gold thread, silver thread, simulated whalebone or leather) or other work (see our above list of repairs). If the stick suffered accidental damage, please ask if you wish us to provide an insurance report or “Write-off” report. Please note that routine wear-and-tear to expendables - hair, lapping etc. is not insurable or covered.
4. Wrap the bow in bubblewrap (especially protecting its two ends), feed it snugly but not tightly into an 850mm long plastic tube (our postal tubes or 45mm wastepipe for violin and viola, 65mm wastepipe for cello, or 80mm downpipe for double bass bows). The Post Office does not accept tubes longer that 850mm, nor boxes.
5. Seal the tube with parcel tape and address it “Bowspeed, 10 Perry Road (Park Row), Bristol, BS1 5BG”, send it by 'Special Delivery' when it can be insured during transit for its replacement value (maximum £2500).
6. Upon receiving the bow, we will acknowledge this and double-check the bow’s problems.
7. We normally rehair etc. on Mondays, so from Tuesdays onwards please phone us on 0117 3309090 to check whether your bow is ready for collection or posting back.